Thread: Nook 2?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #42
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Well, some people do prefer the replaceable battery. I think this is very much a case where the people who care about those things (and have preferences regarding epub or DRM) will gravitate to the Nook while those who don't, and aren't B&N regular customers will tend to just get Kindles.

--
Bill
Agreed. That is why I ended my paragraph with I doubt that those are going anywhere so I don't see where the Nook will drop any weight.

I understand that people prefer the Nook because they want the additional flexibility that the Nook offers. I felt the same when the K2 came out. Then I looked at how often I used that flexibility (never) and realized that it wasn't important. I have a sneaking suspicion that a large number of Nook owners don't use memory cards, replaceable battery, and shop mainly at the B&N store so that the format isn't all that important to them. Those folks might not post here but lets not forget that it takes someone with a heightened level of interest in e-readers to seek out these websites and that is going to alter who devices are used by board members.

I own the K1 and never used the replaceable battery or the memory card slot. OK, I did change the battery once to charge a second battery just in case I ran out of battery life while flying from DC to Sydney. Turned out I didn't need it. I read 13 hours in the airport waiting for planes and on the plane itself and arrived at my hotel with a still ticking K1. I felt better having the extra battery but was happy to not have to use it.

I had 300 books on my K1 for that trip and didn't run out of space or need to worry about a memory card. I don't read manga or anything that takes up a ton of space. When I wanted a new book I bought it online and transfered it to my K1. It took less then 2 minutes all around and I did buy four new books on the trip.* (shrugs)

I have the DXG now and am even less concerned about the battery. My K1 battery is working fine and has not needed to be replaced. My DXG can last twice as long as my K1 battery so I am not worrying about running out of juice. The K3 is suppose to last a month on one charge. Storage space is of no concern, I can hold 3,500 books sorted into collections. And my DXG is only a little heavier then my K1. Best of all worlds.

As for EPub, I have yet to not be able to buy a book that I want for my Kindle that I had to worry about formatting. I have not had to use Calibre to download books. I know where I can go to buy books formatted for the Kindle that are not from the Kindle store. With a little bit more effort, I can increase the number of stores I shop at. I am not locked into Amazon and can rad what I want.

It is great that we have competition and people can get different devices that suit their needs. The Nook is not likely to be able to drop much weight if it maintains it current specs. Since those specs are popular with Nook users, they are not likely to go away and the Nook is not likely to drop much weight.

* I had started the Wheel of Time series and decided not to buy all the books that were available when I bought the first so I needed to download the rest of the series that was available.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote