View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
There are two separate questions here:
1. Are e-books a fad?
2. Is there a future in eInk screen technology?
1.) To me, the more ridiculous idea is to think that, 50 or even 20 years in the future, the bulk of books read would be in the form of stacks of pulped wood. That is just silly-- as silly as the idea people will be buying their music and movies on shiny metal discs.

2.) I do not see any other long-term surviving technology for a device meant for serious reading-- meaning hours at a stretch without stop and not skimming through articles-- that does not use an ultra-low power consuming display. If it will be a descendant of electrophoretics or mirasol or something completely different yet to be invented I don't know, but real reading will not be done in the future primarily on devices that have to be recharged after a few hours of use-- that is just a joke.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote