View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Conference attendees love the iLiad!

I just got back from a 4 day conference on training/learning games (http://nasaga.org for more info), and my iLiad was the hit of the conference. I quickly lost track of how many people had asked me for demos, asked to try it, asked where they could get one, etc. iRex is probably about to get a bunch of orders.

HOWEVER... the number-one question was, "so does it convert your handwriting to text?" At first I answered "no, but..." and then I realized the correct answer was really "I don't have it configured to do that, currently," as I could install abiword and use the single-line HWR to enter text. I did tell people that Vision Objects, the company that provided the single-line input, is considering porting their full-screen HWR software to the iLiad, but that so far there are no Linux-based full-page HWR programs, so I'd have to move my files to the Mac or a PC to use HWR software. (I have Readiris on the Mac, and it would probably work -- I've just never tried it.)

Other questions that came up related to searching on the descriptions rather than the filename (I was surprised that this didn't work) and other ways to organize files. I think the iLiad has some improvements to make in this area. But the multiple card formats supported, USB drive emulationl, wi-fi connection, and open OS were huge hits. No one was put off by the battery life or lack of back-light, and surprisingly few people thought the price was out of line, considering the functionality. The stylus was regarded as a critical feature by many. They weren't even interested in hearing about other e-ink alternatives that had no stylus.

Oh, and the fact that I have nearly my entire science fiction library on board was a smile-maker, too. These are people who travel a lot, and they are very conscious of the weight of books.

iRex, if you're listening, I think the "traveling consultant/trainer" market is ripe for conquest!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote