View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #35
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
As Worldwalker says a large number of us bought an ereader to read books whenever and wherever we want. I like to read during lunch break. Should I have to bring a laptop in to the restaurant with me?

As I looked through the ebooks offered I see some that are Kindle DRM only. That limits the number of people that will buy it for their reader.

So let me put my spirit, as succinctly as possible, into words. - It seems stupid, to me, to restrict the number of people who will buy your book.

JK Rowling's rejection of ebooks has not stopped her books from getting on the internet. That's her choice. There are many writers that feel the same way as she.

I just bought a DRMed book that I probably could have downloaded illegally (I had to hold my nose to do it, but I really did want it). Had the book ONLY been on Amazon as a DRM file I might have gone to the dark side.

Boomerang (a very good book, that is being sold at a great bargain I might add) is on Amazon and is listed as - "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited". I buy more books on Smashwords because I don't have to worry about it. I wish Amazon would let us search for non-DRM books. I might buy more from them then.

I'm not going to buy a Kindle just to read some books on Amazon. I'm not going to carry a laptop around just to read Kindle books. The same holds true for B&N.

If authors want to restrict the sale of their ebooks, go ahead. There are a lot of other good books to read.

Just for the record, I upload all my books to Amazon and select NO DRM. I also sell my books at Smashwords in multiple formats for various readers. When the book is uploaded to Sony, B&N, Kobobooks and Apple, I do not have an option where DRM is concerned.

But my books are available in multiple formats so conversion shouldn't even be necessary. What's more, buying from Smashwords avails you off ALL the formats--not just one.

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote