View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post

Oh, yes.

You did get carried away a bit there didn't you, Dennis?
That was just the ebook specific part, and it's applicable to other Palm OS devices. I started, after all, on a Handspring Visor Deluxe, and progressed from there to a Visor Pro, and then a Tungsten E before getting a Zodiac.

The "killer app" for the Zodiac is Picard's Palm port of TCPMP. The Zodiac community took up a collection to get him a Zodiac for development, and the result was support for the Zodiac's ATI video chip. There are reams elsewhere on the best way to rip your DVDs to something you can put on an SD card and watch on your Zodiac...

See http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/

Quote:
We Zodiac-Users are a somewhat peculiar bunch- trying to convince others of the advantages of hardware and software that is half a decade old .
The Tapwave folks missed the boat. With TCPMP, you have the basics of a dandy handheld media player, and had they gone in that direction in the first place they might still be with us. It was well ahead of its time when released, and still competitive for a lot of uses.

Quote:
(But you are right of course. Got myself a new a battery and started using the old Zod2 again both as an ebook-reader and mp3 player (that yamaha chip still blows away most current/cheap mp3 players and the screen still is good in sunlight with the backlight -off- ) ).
Yeah, works a treat. The problem with the Tungsten E that the Zodiac replaced was that I couldn't turn the backlight off. As it happens, there's a hack that will let you do it, but I didn't find about about the hack until the TE was failing and I got a Zodiac to replace it.

Quote:
But the idea to use an old m125 as an independent ebook reader really is a good one if one wants to read black on green (and it's readable in sunlight too!).
I used something similar for years, and it worked fine. It's indirectly responsible for my winding up here...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote