View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #26
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
As to why publishing is in decline, I can only surmise. Primarily I think it has more to do with the changing landscape of entertainment. We're awash in a sea of instant, passive entertainment available 24/7.

The issue of people reading less in general is a cultural issue way bigger than anything the publishing industry has done. The effects of book pricing, ebooks and IP management are small potatoes compared to the forces at work beyond their boardrooms. imo.
I agree with you. The big publishers are certainly not helping themselves (or anyone) but I think the main reason the book industry is in trouble is the general public. Once upon a time most people read a bit, and a minority read voraciously. Soon we will be at the stage where a minority read a bit, and a tiny subset read voraciously. Even if the total revenue generated stays the same or rises, that's still a big change to deal with - and the current incumbents apparently can't cope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hicks
after the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, but I was hungry. And I'm sitting there eating and reading a book. I don't know anybody, I'm alone, so I'm reading a book. The waitress comes over to me like, [gum smacking] "What'chu readin' for?" I had never been asked that. Not "What am I reading?", but "What am I reading for?" Goddangit, you stumped me.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote