View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I don't download ebooks from the darknet. I like to have free ebooks (only the ones that I like to read, or think I might like) but I download only legal ones, like the PD stuff or the temporary free offers and similar ones.

I have downloaded a music CD or two that I liked in the past, mainly because downloading is legal in my country, and you pay a levy on empty CD's and DVD's to compensate the artists. Even when you use the CD for data or for your own photo's you pay the levy. So I think the artists have been sufficiently compensated. This is also the reason that it is legal to download or make copies (it falls under home copying, and you don't need to have the original).

For ebooks I think it is legal too. The article in the law that allows the home copying doesn't differentiate between music, video and books. However the authors don't get compensated, because they are outside the category of music and video. Also there is no levy on ereaders and disks here. The entertainment industry is trying to get the levy on all mass storage devices but they failed to get an agreement with the computer industry. However some other EU countries have it already (France and Spain I know of). Of course the entertainment industry would like to have both the levy and make it illegal to download. They want to eat their cake and have it too!

For me this is sufficient reason not to download pirated ebooks.
And as jabberwock_11 experienced, be careful not to download the first one as you can easily get addicted.

With respect to DRM, I highly agree that it should be abolished. It doesn't stop piracy, and it hurts many honest consumers. I have no problem removing DRM for what I consider legitimate purposes (format shifting your legally obtained ebooks for example). I haven't done it myself yet because I had no need, but I have setup the necessary infrastructure on my computer to be able to do it when the need arises.

Last edited by pietvo; 03-23-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added section about DRM
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote