View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #45
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm not sure if I agree with that. Is there such a thing as a book that leaves nothing to interpretation or imagination? Maybe I'm not imaginative enough to picture a book where I could be completely passive even in the pulp spectrum of fiction.

That said, I'm slightly annoyed by 1984 by George Orwell for the very reason that his book requires very little active involvement from me. Not satisfied that I might be able to discern the message of the book, it's spelled out to me, spelled out again and, just when I think the lecture is over, it's spelled out again. This guy would have made an excellent Hollywood producer.

I do tend towards the Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror, but this year I've started trying to put some "literature" on my dance card. I do like discussing books with people and one of the aspects of this forum that I liked instantly was that I could discuss books with other readers and even authors.

Regards
Caleb
Your experience of 1984 is very different from mine. It's a few decades since I read it, but it is a book that haunts me. I find it quite a difficult read, because I keep stopping to think about this or that bit and going into imaginative flights.

I have to say that until I was about 40, I was a voracious reader of classics and modern literary fiction, but with ageing my serious reading has turned much more to various sorts of non-fiction, with detective stories for light relief. I no longer find much literary fiction all that interesting. I'd rather read science, history, politics or philosophy.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote