View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Excellent.

Would it worth bringing this up at comp.tex.tex and/or latex-community.org in hopes of soliciting volunteers?

Has anyone tried any of the html2latex converters (I guess there are several scripts by this name) already out there? There is a list of five of them on the PC Textprocessors to (La)TeX converters page at TUG? I have to confess I haven't tried any of them. (Most seem to be in perl or C... I have to confess that if I were going to start honing my own skills to do better, I'd prefer something in Python, so maybe ahi's is a better place to start...) I have used the rtf2latex2e converter listed there, with so-so results.

(P.S. I guess while posting, acidzebra has chimed in with some feedback on one of them! Great...)
I personally have found HTML -> LaTeX converters to be close to useless... primarily because, not making assumptions about what they are being used for, they simply try to do as precise a conversion as possible.

The results of that we all know, it sounds like.

My approach with pacify will be to assume we are dealing with an eBook that uses only simple formatting (and ignore overcomplications in the source code accordingly). That should result in cleaner LaTeX source that isn't an active obstacle to LaTeX producing a good quality output.

I have not approached any TeX/LaTeX groups... having no connection with any, and being at best moderately familiar with TeX's/LaTeX's internal workings. As a result, I suspect I would not be a technically coherent enough spokesperson to raise sufficient interest in this idea.

Might you be better suited, frabjous, to approach them?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote