View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #131
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Also you posted in the 64 bit calibre thread but the file you typed in is the 32 bit version. The 64 bit version is named calibre-64bit-1.22.0.msi
Which is borne out by the error message

Quote:
"the installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory; C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\startmenu\program s\calibre - e-book management. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator
On my system the start menu items are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre 64bit - E-book Management

Still and all - the 32bit version should install on any Win7 system

@mikep32

I cannot think of any reason why the installer should not be able to write the start menu - did it create the folder - "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\calibre - E-book Management", if it did is there anything in it?

If it exists then I suggest you trash it - ie shift+del

Then perhaps you could you try this
  • First uninstall calibre, make sure the Calibre2 folder is gone from Program Files (X86), and have a look for C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\calibre if it exists trash it
    If you want to use an uninstaller like Revo or IOBit then that's your call, personally I don't like them but...
  • Then run the install again and click Advanced on the license popup (first attachment), click through the next popup (install location), and then on the Product Features popup, deselect Start Menu shortcuts (second attachment), hopefully that will get you to te end of the install
If so, then me or someone will tell you what shortcuts are normally put into that start menu folder.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	118736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	118737  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-05-2014 at 12:43 AM. Reason: missing not