View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbie View Post
Why are we using ebooks at all when we can generate £2-£3 per book for charity when we have finished with our hard copy books.?? I donate all my books to the British Heart Foundation who then sell them for the above sum. They are the purchased and read by someone who hopefully takes them back so that they can be sold again. You cannot do this with ebooks so therefore we should bin all the ebook readers and get back to print. The fact that a lot of ebooks are the same price or more expensive than the printed copy only makes this argument more vaid

Comments please!!

Ummm... That's *wonderful* that you are into raising money for your favorite charity by donating your dead-tree books to it for resale. I applaud you.

Now. Why should *I* be forced to endure all the problems of dead-tree reading simply because *you* want to help charities? Sorry, but the 'ability to help a charity some time down the line' is NOT a major concern for me when I buy something. The disadvantages of dead-tree books far outweigh the 'feel-good-ism' I *might* derive from donating used books. ( Call me a curmudgeon if you want, but true freedom involves being able to decide not just *what* charities I want to support, but also being able to decide to NOT SUPPORT any charity. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote