View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
HalfABrain
HalfABrain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Update:

The Walmart in the next town over had a bunch of these EnVue ones on the closeout aisle for $5 each, so I bought several--one for each of my kids. I found an undocumented feature that makes it faster to navigate through a lot of pages at a time: if you go into thumbnail mode and hold down the arrow keys, it turns pages quicker.

So far it's working out pretty well. My boys used to get into arguments when one was reading late at night and wanted to keep the light on. One of my daughters likes to use her picture viewer to read in bed with the lights off. That way she doesn't bother her sister. I've tried it a couple of times myself, and it works pretty well.

For reading text, the smaller 3.5 inch screen size is more usable than I expected. Turning pages more often isn't all that bad. I have even experimented with putting picture books on there. The Mother Goose picture book on Gutenberg has some beautiful pictures. That's not as easy, though.

As an added bonus, my one daughter is still in learning how to read mode. We still have some of the level-appropriate learning books we used for her older siblings, but a lot of them got ruined or lost. I find it's very quick and easy to type in a short book just for her. I can include actual names of her siblings, pets, favorite foods or activities, friends... She responds well to that sort of thing.
HalfABrain is offline   Reply With Quote