View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
HalfABrain
HalfABrain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given the price of 2nd hand Pocket PC or Palm PDAs, I have to ask "why bother"? On a Pocket PC or Palm you'll be able to read virtually all the commercial eBook formats using their "proper" reading applications with none of the hassle you're going through.
Good point. I'm still new at this, and it looks like I'm still exploring more options. Last time I went looking at palms they were still a lot more expensive.

The other issue is that I have children that have classes at school that are starting to require them to read classics. Buying paper books gets expensive fast. Which I normally don't have much problem with, but when the books are public domain and I can download them for free... Anyway, I'm looking at a solution for more than one person. Possibly five or six of them. Which makes the price a bigger deal.

Also, I think I really would like a bigger screen. I don't much mind reading books on my computer, with the 22" display. But I'd like to stay away from taking turns on the computer just to read.

The hassle hasn't been much yet. The only thing I can really call a hassle is navigating the pages. Whichever reader I end up with will have to do that well. I don't mind spending a little time formatting my books. I only need to do it once for each book, and then each of my kids could get a copy. I'm not worried about commercial books yet... I'll burn that bridge after I cross it.

Maybe my requirements are too unusual. In any case, I'll report what I come up with.
HalfABrain is offline   Reply With Quote