View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Exclamation Kindle 2 - search - always active?

Hmmm. I just started reading the Kindle 2 manual. And then I took another look at the picture comparing the two (included below). The manual says "while you are in HOME, the Kindle store, or reading [a book], from the keyboard, begin typing what you want to search for". (pg 12)

So -- the keyboard is now active at all times. We can no longer count on holding it by that area. See, there is no SEARCH button in the picture?! The manual goes on to say you can select (via the 5-way) your search region -- all books, dictionary, Kindle store, wikipedia, web. It's not clear if you can search only the currently open book (that would be a nice addition, but the K1 can't do it currently).

While looking at the keys in the picture: HOME has moved, SEARCH is gone, and the 2 at right are SYM and Aa. On the left, only 2 buttons are left -- the left seems to say SHIFT, and the right ..... well, maybe that's ALT? Cause the slash / seems to be at the second to right of the bottom row. For a minute I was worried about my ALT button, cause I *like* to use ALT-B for a bookmark. It's easier than navigating up to dog-ear the page. (Also an option, for you newcomers - at least, with K1 it is.) Also, ALT-T is nice to show the time. (Quit reading, and go to BED, you idiot!)

Anyway --- which ever co-Kindle-owner it was that says "the keys are inactive; hold it down there" -- that may not be true any more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-2-size-comparison.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	23369  

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 02-12-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: oops - forgot comparison pic
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote