View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 08:13 PM   #35
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I played with the Acer Iconia today at Best Buy, and compared it with the Xoom on display. Here are my impressions:

I really liked the brushed aluminum, and it felt nice in my hands. It actually felt lighter than the Xoom due to the way the weight is distributed. It was much more comfortable to hold in portrait mode compared with the Xoom. However, the Xoom feels like it is constructed better and is more durable. The Acer had kind of a cheap feel to it, while the Xoom felt like a quality piece of hardware. Also, the Acer is bigger with a thick bezel. The Xoom is more sleek. The screen on the Acer seemed identical to the Xoom, and it was nice and responsive, and I didn't notice any lag in any of the preloaded apps.

It seems like a nice alternative to the Xoom because of the price. Some reviewers have mentioned that the Acer struggles with 1080p videos (ones that the Xoom plays fine). This makes the choice between the Xoom and the Acer a tough one.

The xoom wins on build quality, video playback, 16gb more onboard storage, and from what I hear app stability. The Acer has an attractive design, and is $150 cheaper.

My advice would be to hold out for the Asus eee Transformer before making a choice between the three.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote