View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
larrz
larrz began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V5
Help deciding first reader, please :)

Hello all!

I read a lot of books and manga, and seeing how my house is being invaded by shelves and boxes, two months ago I decided to sell a lot of them and switch to digital format.
I've have been reading some books and manga on my laptop for the last 2 years (classics and others I find difficult to purchase living in Spain) and fanfiction. But as I also use my laptop for studies, I really notice the eye strain using it so many hours.
That's why this week I started looking for my first e-reader.
I read lots of posts here, consulted the wiki matrix and researched the availability and prizes of e-readers I could get living in Spain. I even downloaded Calibre to start playing around with different formats.

But I still don't know which to get. I hope you'll help me.

- I want a device to read only (fiction books). I don't care about wifi, touch screen, mp3 or other extras. I don't mind if the reader has them, but they aren't a necessity.
- I don't need a good PDF support as I hate PDFs. In my laptop I always convert them to other formats if I can.
- An English dictionary would be nice (English is my third language), but not essential.
- I read mostly at home, but also when I travel to other places on holidays.
- Folders in which organize the books are important.

Although I know in the distant future I'll buy an 8" or 9" reader for manga, for now a 5" or 6" reader is enough. I don't want to expend too much money, but neither buy the cheapest one if by paying a little more I have one with better software, better quality all around, or whatever.

Here are the readers I found, with their prices (shipping included):

5"
- Sony PSR-300 ---- 167 € at book depository UK. No extras (I think).
- Cybook Opus ---- 209 € at pixmania. With cover.
- Pocketbook 360 ---- 239 € at pocketgoods. With wall charger.
- Bebook mini ---- 166 € at book depository UK. No extras (I think) and now out of stock.

6"
- Onyx Boox 60 ---- Around 313 € at electronicreading. With cover.
- Wolder Boox-S ---- 299 € at physical store in my city. With wall charger, cover, SD 2 GB.
- Pocketbook 301+ ---- 265 € at pocketgoods. With wall charger, cover, headphones, SD 2 GB.
- Pocketbook 302 ---- 298 € at pocketgoods. With wall charger, cover, headphones, SD 4 GB, LED lamp.
- Hanlin V3+ (Papyre 6.1 v2) ---- 269 € at grammata. With wall charger, cover, headphones, SD 2 GB.

- Wait until more readers come out this summer/fall, not only for more models, but also if the readers listed above drop a little in prize.

I should point out I don't have any wall chargers, so I'll need to buy one if it's not included.

I know there are a lot of readers, but I didn't want to limit myself hugely, because maybe it's better to spend a little more money and get a better device -even if it's just only for reading- or maybe the "basic" ones at 167 € are enough.

I'll appreciate your opinions about it And sorry for writing so much
larrz is offline   Reply With Quote