View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
i'm not sure if you've ever looked at the Entourage Edge. it has one of the best pdf support on the ereaders for now and is built with students in mind. there are some reviews out there that says how slow this device is, but with the latest update (codename Dingo), it's pretty snappy and has improved battery life. it's just a thought coz i do a lot of annotations on my pdfs, and it does lock zoom, hook up usb drives and you could even convert the annotated page to pdf and email it from the device.
it runs on android. i'm yet to try video chat on it and the usb to projector support.

the interface to the dictionary support on kindle is perhaps better, but you can't scroll through the words on the pdf. but maybe k3 can, i'm not sure. on the edge, you'll have to select the word with your pen and then click the search icon. a dialog will appear on the lcd, asking if you want to want to search it on wiki/dictionary/... Then you just click on the dictionary, which is selected by default.

the color support on the eink is only 8 whereas k3 has 16, but that's not a problem because i can easily display any area of interest on the lcd.

the drawback? besides the battery life (though it's better than the ipad), it's much heavier. you wouldn't want to carry it to the seaside or lie down on the couch holding it. it's in between a laptop and an ereader. a k3 and sony would be best for that purpose. considering that you're a student, you probably want to be able to do a lot of stuff, and so the edge is just right. some students gave their comments on the entourage edge forums, so you could see if it suits your need or not. i wished i had it when i was doing research...though i couldn't probably afford it that time either.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote