View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
So you are that proverbial literally minded professor
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/choice.asp
Way

Well, it depended on the situation, the question, and the student, but yes, I did sometimes give credit in situations like this. My upper-division classes were reasonably small (10 to 20 people), so I could know the students well enough to tell if someone was jerking my chain or really had no clue.

I had a situation once where I demonstrated that 3 students plagiarized the final project of a fourth. I wrote individual final exams, where for the three students the first question (10% of the exam) was 'explain in detail why your code is identical to XXX's'. Two answered 'because I copied it', and I gave the the exam points. They failed the project, though. The third failed both. Several students told me that I had a reputation for very hard grading, but fair.