View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #66
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Whatever the legal position, if anything is a victimless crime, this is.
If a paper book is available from Amazon UK, I will buy it from them. I only buy from the US, if there is no alternative.
If I had a choice, I would also buy UK ebooks. If there was an alternative to bypassing geo restrictions to buy an ebook I want to read, I'd use it.
That is how I see it. I know that DawnFalcon wants to convince us that circumventing regional restrictions is worse than going to the darknet. That seems like saying buying a bottle of liquor with a fake ID while below the legal age limit is worse than walking into the store with a gun and just taking it.

According to the letter of the law there are some minor issues, but our actions follow the spirit of the law. We bought by paying full price to an authorized distributor. Sort of like a gray import. If you buy a car in another country and ship it back home you have not "stolen" it. Or my reader; Irex doesn't want US sellers to sell the DR800SG to me, but I found a way to get one. So, am I not the rightful owner now? Contractual issues between the US seller and the manufacturer/publisher do not concern me. And I would bet that nobody will ever be successfully prosecuted for having an illegal copy, after having obtained it this way. If they ever come after anyone who paid for the book the press would have a field day.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-27-2010 at 08:04 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote