View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmins View Post
The number one feature in my quest for an eInk reader is always, "will it flow my library of technical books that are sized A4/Letter?" I searched the forum but didn't find any threads that discussed this with regards to the Kindle.
I think for readable PDF and technical books, we need someone to come out with a reader using the 9.7" EInk display screen or even a larger display screen. EInk has 5", 6", 8", 9.7" displays. Other than the Iliad which is using a customized EInk screen, I have not seen any reports of other mass market 8" readers. Wonder if EInk has sold the 9.7" display to anyone other than in single development kit quantities?

I gather from the reports on the current prices for the 6" EInk display and what the Iliad goes for, that a reader/document viewer based on the 9.7" EInk screen would be rather expensive at this time. Maybe in another year or two, if the costs for the EInk technology drop and the image quality improves, we will see full notebook sized reader/notepad devices on the market for PDF files, technical documents, and textbooks. I know if someone came out with a reader/news-reader/notepad using a 9.7" EInk type display for, say $200-$300, I would be all over it.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote