View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Do you think this will change the answer to "Why doesn’t calibre let me store books in my own directory structure?" in the FAQ? I.e., will there be a question like: "How do I change the calibre directory structure?" with an answer?
It isn't a goal, at least for me. It might happen by accident. Or the answer might be 'Write a plugin that supports your personal storage scheme.'
Quote:
But ... is revised naming and/or better direct access to book files in the Library even on the radar? Is "Why does Calibre have to make a copy of all my ebooks?" on that radar? Those are the two issues that drive the constant beginner user queries about file structure.
Disclaimer: personal opinions follow:

The fundamental issues will not change. Calibre will need to know where the books are, to have some assurance that they will still be there tomorrow, and to be in control of their modification. Nobody forces people to use calibre. If how books are stored is a deal-breaker, so be it. They can get the code and change it however they want. Add to that the fact that I am not in the least interested in dealing with inevitable support questions like 'I sent 'War and Peace' to my device, but some hentai comic arrived instead. I accidentally showed it to my boss, and she fired me. How could calibre be so evil?'

So no, it isn't on my radar. But as I said, I am speaking entirely for myself. Kovid may have different ideas and goals, and his win. Other current developers might have a different radar, or new developers might come along. Que sera, sera.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote