View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #89
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I said *read* Shakespeare or Homer, not watch a movie or a play based on those works. I'm fairly convinced that Shakespeare, Homer, and many classics are not fit for most 14-15 year olds. In my class *everybody* hated "Literature class", be it in Dutch, English, German or French, except for a select few who were good with languages and were trained readers already (of whom I was one, except for French, a language I hate even today and dropped as soon as could be).
Oh well ... okay ... I'll admit it's not actually reading. But it is also about appreciating the original text. Good teaching can get you there. I remember that our English teacher explained about all the great rhetorics in Marc Antony's speech, and I found that really cool. That wasn't only me, not everybody hated literature at my school.
Even in French (which I was never good at) I quite enjoyed reading bits of "Candid" and some Moliere stuff. Usually you wouldn't have to plough through the whole book, just take out some interesting parts.

Quote:
And is Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, often quoted as *THE* book of the 20th century, required reading, nowadays? I don't mean that you're allowed to read it for your literature list: I mean required to read, fail-your-exam-if-you-don't, like "A Midsummer night's dream", "Macbeth" and "Canterbury Tales" were for me. (Among others.) If it isn't, why not?
Because many people/teachers still consider it trivial, I guess. "It can't be good if it's really popular"
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote