View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #108
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Reading is reading is reading, regardless of the context. There is no "reading_context1". There is only "reading + context1", because it is still reading in a different context. If changing the context doesn't make it not reading, then the context isn't part of what makes it reading. The author makes a fatal mistake in assuming that how he prefers to read is an inherent part of reading. He likes the tactile sensation of paper books. That's fine, but it is a mistake to think that it isn't reading with out it.

To borrow from Dr. Seuss:

I could read them on a boat,
I could read them on a goat.
I could read them in the rain,
I could read them in the train.
You still miss the point. "reading in context" (e.g. call it reading a science fiction book in the context of you being a member of sf fandom) has as a part just reading. But it is not just reading. Just like having a fine dinner at a restaurant is not the same type of experience as eating microwaved dinner at home.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote