View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
An update: instead of a Nook Color, I purchased a Nook Tablet for my youngest (6 years old). I haven't opened it yet, but I plan to set it up and have Santa deliver it on Christmas.

For one of my older kids, I couldn't resist the Best Buy Black Friday pre-sale for rewards members - I got a Toshiba Thrive for 280$ - the Asus Transformer sold out in less than five minutes, it was 250$. Gonna still try to get one of those at the true black Friday sale on Friday. My oldest is in middle school, and the school encourages them to bring laptops and tablets for research - the school offers wifi for the students. So a generic, full size tablet will probably work best for her anyway.

But I think this Nook Tablet is going to be perfect for my six year old, she needs reading help and from what I can tell the Nook can help. I like that it has a microphone and (supposedly) I can record myself reading books on it. I've also seen where apps can be sideloaded on this tablet, so I can probably get access to the Android Market for some additional apps.

If anyone knows of B&N educational apps/games good for a first grader, I'd appreciate recommendations and reviews. Again, thanks everyone who has contributed in this thread, it helped me decide on the NT over the Kindle Fire.
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote