View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #292
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I am asking ... can I buy Nook ebooks and read them on a Kobo without removing drm?
If they are DRM-free books, then yes. A few publishers and most of the indie authors seem to sell DRM-free over @ B&N. I know that those Samhain Publishing romance freebies that get offered every month are always DRM-free for each one that I've tried dragging onto Lucidor to see if it would open, and I suspect their entire catalogue is, too.

However, B&N don't handily mark all their DRM-free books even with a code phrase such as Amazon's "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" on the product page, so it's a matter of knowing which publishers are DRM-free or trial and error/asking others.

But I think that publishers which offer DRM-free @ other stores will also be DRM-free @ B&N, such as O'Reilly for computer books and Ellora's Cave & Carina Press for romance and e-Reads for mainstream/genre backlist (they sell MultiFormat over at Fictionwise and DRM-free for Kindle) and likely Subterranean Press and Phoenix Pick for sf/fantasy.

Now that the Kobo Touch has DRM-free Mobi support, I hope the Kobo people will be taking advantage of the new version of ADE which is supposed to allow the use of B&N-DRM style books if the developer decides to enable that option. It would greatly expand the Kobo's versatility and possibly give it a slight marketing edge in the bargain.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote