View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
I got the wi-fi only for a few reasons:
  1. I used mobipocket on a cellphone for a couple of years and only purchased one book via the cellphone.
  2. 3G coverage can be unstable in areas and irritating to use.
  3. I don't plan on buying many books from amazon (I almost got burned on my mobipocket purchases, luckily there was a way to strip the DRM)
  4. I do have the option of connecting the kindle to my netbook and use that for 3G access.
  5. Using the 3G shortens batterylife quite dramaticly.
  6. The Wi-Fi only is a couple of grams lighter.
  7. I figure the less thechnology, fewer things can be broken.
  8. I try to avoid feature-creep when buying new gadgets and computers, because I'll replace them soon enough anyway (Although fear of loss is hard to resist).

oooh, you see, I agree with all you said, I had many of the same reasons for getting wifi........ it really would just be for the very occasional convenience that I would use 3G, it is not a necessity......plus, as you can see from my Sony readers, i do tend to buy them yearly anyway.....I guess, if I really, really missed the 3G, then I could get a new one next year, especially if the UK eventually stock the white one too.

My sensible head tells me wifi is more than enough and I save some cash and some battery life. I will never need a books that badly that I can't wait till I get home.

My female head tells me, but what if I regret it and wish I had 3G, even if I will never use it.....

'wifi is fine, wifi is fine, wifi is fine' <keeps chanting new mantra>
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote