View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current Windows version 1.9.1 (I think that's it) doesn't open Mobi files not downloaded from Amazon.

There is the Kindle Previewer but I cannot say how good or not it is.
[Kindle for PC is now at version 1.9.2 and has no difficulty opening non-Amazon MOBI files provided they are placed in the "My Kindle Content" folder. It does still have some issues with file located elsewhere on the system and with displaying the covers in the Library View.]
I stand corrected, it is now v1.9.3 which will open files not in the My Kindle Content folder and displays covers for most non-Amazon/KindleGen ebooks. A few of my earlier calibre compiled MOBI ebooks still fail to display covers. The 1.9.3 installer still has the very rude behavior of stealing the default file associations.

Kindle Previewer 2, currently v2.4, is the best primary proofing tool for MOBI format books but is not the best general purpose eReader.

Last edited by dwig; 04-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote