View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Note this is my experinces of pulp fiction in the U.S.

Hmm... Some years ago I read one of the old Gernsback pulp fiction magazines.

Some of the stories outclassed sf stories I read in the 1960s, by big name authors. Most didn't.

Pulps were printed on the cheapest paper possible, some even cheaper than newsprint.

Other sf magazines were printed on much better paper.

While some pulp fiction I have read, and the old Ace Doubles were some 1950s pulp fiction, was poorly written, had plot holes you could drive a universe through, etc. but some of it was very good.

For those unfamilar with Ace Doubles.

They had 2 short stories, by usually different authors, back to back. Think of it as a 2 story anthology, as just one of them was too short to be published alone. Some of them were rife with cliches.

The 2 stories were inverted back to back. half of each was one story. Flip it over, and you have a new cover and a different story.

Not all of them were sf, some were mysteries, some like Film Noir, some erotic or detective stories. Like Mikey Spillane's 'Mike Hammer.' One of those I read many years ago was definately pulp fiction.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote