Thread: Touch Odd error in PDF display
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@ottdmk: Are these PDF in the main memory or on an SD card? I don't know if this will affect what you are seeing, but there is a difference in part of the bookmark/annotations management.

If an ePub or PDF are in the main memory, when a bookmark is made, it is put in two places; the database and an annotations file. The file is an XML file under "Digital Editions/Annotations". Within that directory, the file has the same path as the book file with the added extension of "ANNOT". For books on the SD card, this file is not created.

The file causes a problem. It is read when the book is opened and replaces the bookmarks in the database. The problem is that when it is loaded into the database, some information is lost. The bookmarks are valid and lead to the right place, but it loses the chapter it was made in. So, if you make a bookmark in chapter one, and then go to chapter two and close the book, when you reopen the book and look at the annotations list, the bookmark will be shown as under chapter 2. This also messes up the percentage in the book of the bookmark. This gets set to zero on when the book is reopened.

This doesn't happen for books on the SD card as the annotations file is not created. To prove this is the cause, I have deleted the annotations file for a book in the main memory and reopened the book. The annotations list displayed the bookmarks under the correct chapter.

Kobo are definitely aware of this bug, but haven't done anything yet. It has been in all 2.x.x firmware and I think it was in the 1.9.x, but I keep hoping it will be fixed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote