View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Question Voice Control for Accessibility (simulating key presses)

I'm hoping to try and get some kind of a working form of voice control going for the Kindle.

This would be a great help to anyone who doesn't have the use of their hands and can't control their Kindle by pressing buttons.

I specifically wanted to try and get this functionality working for a friend of mine who has Multiple Sclerosis. This would allow her to read on her own, which she hasn't been able to do for a long time.

The practical stuff:

I'm not going to attempt to use the built in microphone, or anything like that. I'm just going to try and get remote execution of key input so that the voice recognition stuff can happen on a computer.

So the main thing I need to work out is, how do you simulate key presses via the command line?

I have a feeling that h1uke's Launchpad hack does exactly this, but I'm having trouble working out exactly what part of his code is responsible for sending the actual command, and how it is doing this.

If anyone could explain to me how one simulates a key press, then I could have a script on the computer trigger those keypresses over SSH when it receives the correct voice commands.

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I've got working remote execution of Kindle key commands that can be interacted with using voice recognition software. Still a work in progress, but give it a go and let me know what you think!

Just remember to put the right settings in config.ini, and make sure you have the usbnetwork hack installed with ssh over wifi.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleControl-0.1.zip (5.88 MB, 921 views)

Last edited by Acorn; 01-31-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote