View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #92
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
Last time I checked, I was responding to a very particular argument that claimed that "most of us are 'nobodies' the government and big business is indifferent toward", with the obvious implication that any effect of Amazon assembling data from our accounts could only be negligible.
"The federal district court rightly ruled that North Carolina's actions violated the First Amendment as well as certain provisions of the Video Privacy Protection Act, the 1988 law that prevents unauthorized disclosure of video-sale records. The court warned that if North Carolina were able to get individualized information about Amazon customers, it would have a chilling effect on their decisions about what to buy."

Mmm... Looks like the federal court also doesn't think that it would be a good idea if this data was released?

Quote:
Of course, last time I checked, apologist rhetoric trying to defame rather than address the actual argument was the very definition of "trolling", so forgive me for not holding my breath for you to start discussing these things in a less accusatory manner.
You cherry picked the quotes and conveniently ignored parts just to provide a one sided argument against Amazon from an article that doesn't even mention the Kindle or eBook readers. Amazon even tried to protect your privacy but thats not good enough I guess. Considering this is an extremely hot topic in the Kindle realm, I'd say yes your actions are still an attempt at trolling.

Quote:
Oh, and to answer one of your previous posts, you can't simply substitute Amazon for any other online vendor. It's one thing for a computer hardware retailer to leak some of its data. It is something completely different for a major online bookstore to do that. As TIME points out, our reading purchases can be extremely incriminatory
Amazon didn't reveal this information. They sued to prevent the release. The federal court agreed with Amazon.

Would you prefer that they didn't keep any records at all? I'll let you work out a suitable method of handling delivery, returns and warranty without any form of PI or trackable IDs.