Thread: Cheap Old Palms
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #12
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
...or you can use a Serial-USB converter. I have the predecessor of this model from Keyspan. This one is quite pricey and I got mine with an old PalmV off eBay*, but maybe they are easier available then USB-Cradles for a specific model.
I have not tried this adapter on a Mac (Keyspan supports Mac), but it works well with linux (kernel driver).

From my own experience with Palm powered devices (IIIxe, m500, Clié SL-10) I would recommend a monochrome device (I never had a color one, avoided them till now ), they have a good battery life (I get about 8-12 hours reading time, depending on the battery set) and are quite cheap at eBay. If the device uses replaceble batteries, you can put in a spare set of rechargeables (or alkalines) and extend the runtime on the road, but there is a small chance of memory loss...
The backlight is ok to read in the dark.

*bargain: PalmV, cradle, 3 styli, this adapter, a nice leather wallet ("used look" ) and screen protectors complete for ~12 Euros
It was the last palm I bought sofar, I don't use it as eBook reader cause I have my Clié and it only has 2MB.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote