View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
In the UK they've done it through Waterstones - but most purchasers get the device, then buy books from Amazon, not Waterstones !

Why ? Well, everything I've price-checked on the two stores show a substantially higher price from Waterstones ........ and in these times, that's a no-brainer.

So Waterstones, having taken a small cut from selling the device, are not a lot better off, I'm sure - and have introduced a lot of new buyers to Amazon !

I fear this was a very sad move by the UK's last major independent bookseller .
Don't be so sure.
People willing to buy Kindles at Waterstone's were likely going to buy one anyway. Those in love with interoperability and all the superior features of epub would never give money to Amazon and thus won't mind a higher price. Bottom line, Waterstone's makes some money from both customer bases.

Their business is marginal enough without leaving good money on the table over principles. That's not how the money-grubbing game is played.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote