View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #234
pwuser
pwuser began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Hello,
my first question on this forum after reading most of this thread and some others in the developer's corner - I want to make sure I understood things correctly:

Can I use this jailbreak to turn my Kindle PW into an ebook-reader, that does not "phone home" to amazon?

I do have a Kindle PW, "european" model, no-ads, WiFi+3G.
I hate the thought, that Amazon can track what I read, when I read etc.

What I want to achieve in detail is:

- No logging of my data, my collection, my books, their titles, authors etc., things that I upload or delete from the Kindle PW via USB/Calibre
- no "phoning home" of that data
- I still want to have the possibility of buying amazon books online, using 3G and the integrated store on the PW (and yes, I know: these buys are logged, which is part of the deal of shopping online)
- I know about the thread, which warns you to use a "stop phoning home"-modification, that can brick a Kindle Touch (it does not mention the PW...)
- I am not experienced with Linux and the associated programs/language.

In other words: I want the hardware advantages of the PW combined with the software-advantages of an opensource-reader, that keeps my data private.

Is this jailbreak sufficient for this, or what other mod's do I need to achieve that on an Kindle Paperwhite?

Last edited by pwuser; 12-27-2012 at 08:50 AM.
pwuser is offline   Reply With Quote