View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
ang7399
ang7399 began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, iPhone
Help a Noob out?

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and new to ebooks....

A little background on what I'm doing:
My grandparents are authors, they have published many a book in their day, (related to their medical field) and now they are publishing a book about their lives. So they 'hired' me to design it for them. So we got it all done, and pretty. I designed it in Adobe InDesign CS5. Then they decided they wanted to publish it as an ebook after all that. So not a big deal I though, I knew that ID had an export to epub feature. Well I wish I was that lucky... I exported it and it failed the ePub Checker, and nothing worked the way it was supposed to. The table of contents didn't export in a way that let them show up in Adobe Digital Editions. There was NO css file at all, so none of my styles showed up. It was 'readable' in the essence that there were words, but nothing looked like it did in ID. Also to add insult to injury, there are about 50 images throughout the book, and I was told (and researched) that most major e-readers can display images.

Long story short, I managed to get an ePub file on my grandparents Nook to "test" everything, and it shows up, but is all sorts of messed up. I have 2 pages of edits from my grandma about what I need to fix. Mostly the images aren't displaying correctly (I had a black box around them, that's missing. None of the images are showing where they are supposed to - text flow is incorrect.) After researching it, I realized the file that we put on her nook to test was the original exported ePub file from ID that was far from correct. So I went ahead and created my own xhtml pages, typed up about a million miles of code. I Created my css, my toc.ncx, my content.opf and the container.xml files (I'll attach a screenshot of my folder structure so you can see where I'm at there)

As far as I can tell, I've done everything correctly. I zipped the containing folder and changed it to a .ePub and open it in ePub checker and I get the following error message:
Quote:
:Length of first filename in archive must be 8, but was 30
:Required META-INF/container.xml resource is missing
And in Adobe Digital Editions I get the following error when I try to open it:
Quote:
LIAR.epub:
The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly
--- errorListChange ---
I have invested about 13 hours so far into the ePub side of things, and I am about to pull my hair out over this. I have spent even more time researching this and I don't see what I'm doing wrong. I have checked the content file and the container file, and they all seem correct. I have compared the exported ID ePub files to my current files, and other than the exported ID files missing data, metadata, and the toc info, the "code" is the same! So in theory it should be working?! I even went as far as finding a tutorial and downloading his file and just changing his info to my info. I didn't touch the code, and it still doesn't work. I have searched a little on this forum to see if anyone has had any similar issues as me, but either I'm numb to it, or it's just not there.

Also we will be uploading the ePub to Lulu.com once all is said and done. I did notice a thread here that someone had issues with uploading to Lulu, and were getting error messages. So I am hoping to avoid those issues as well, but I'm not sure if my issue relates to that or not.

So any help you can offer would be great! Thanks In advance!!!
Ang

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	82752
ang7399 is offline   Reply With Quote