View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #55
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Book 6 is the heart of the Aeneid, thematically as well as positionally. It's arguably the most important book in the Aeneid. Before book 6, Aeneas is fleeing from Troy; after book 6, he's working towards the foundation of what will become Rome. Everything changes with book 6.

Most modern readers enjoy the first half of the Aeneid more than the second half, but the opposite was true in the ancient world: the first 6 books were considered to be good, but the second 6 books the true work of genius.
It may be the pivot point, but I don't see what was so important about the visit. Future Roman successes are foretold, but they would have happened anyway even without the foretelling. Maybe I was too bored and missed the crucial bits, but I don't remember anything in that Book that was necessary to the rest of the story. Maybe someone else here can enlighten me.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote