Thread: Laptop Choices
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
These are personal machines.
When I left DOS and went to Windows I started with Gateway. That baby had a 1.3GB hard drive and I think Windows 95. Good machine.

I then went to Dell, maybe 97 or a year later. That desktop still works. Only replaced the keyboard under warranty. I have only added things. USB2, Ethernet, memory, and a string of larger hard drives. and the like. I kind of wish it would fail. 450mhz single core Pentiums don't do much these days. A giant CRT monitor that takes too much room, but it is an old friend.
About 2000, got Dell laptop That should was always slow from the getgo. It stopped and I might have fixed it but heck I don't like it. It must weigh 8 pounds.

I have had some no name net books that I carry around in a duffel, and they get beat up like that dogtesting one we heard about.

For a replacement I am looking into the new Chromebook C7, by Acer. $199. 320GB HD, 2GB ram, 11.6" screen.

First though I got to see if Chrome OS is sufficient.
I already use gmail, and I sometimes use the Chrome browser, so now I am trying out a Chrome filemanager, ftp program, and Google docs. I can do all that on my current machines.

The real problem I have seen (on paper) is the C7 battery life of 3.5 hours. Someone said that a Acer spokesman said they would probably provide a better battery and charge a little more.
I won't buy it without at least 6 hour battery. It would be in mail except for that.
One thing I like is that the battery is removable.

Last edited by SeaKing; 11-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote