View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
Kindle Services in the UK

The Kindle looks great from the amazon video, a lot better then the early piccies we saw from the FCC guys.
I'm concerned however about the wireless thing. As it uses the GSM network but doesn't have a sim card (to pay for the services). I would think there is some kind of agreement with the Cellnet companies and Amazon. The chances are, unless it is officially released in the UK, the Wireless features will not work in the UK.
Therefore getting books onto it would involve the same amount of work as for the Cybook and Sony - you have to get the book into the format you want, then dump it onto the Kindle via USB. It doesn't look like it reads 'normal' mobipocket books however and I don't think there is a PC conversion kit to make the books for you. Leaving you with RTF's and Txt's (presuming these are supported natively).
I have a friend in the US, who is happy to buy me stuff then send it over to me, but great though this thing looks - it will probably be next to useless unitl officially released over here (in the UK)
Of course; I could be wrong about most (or even all) of this. It is all my opinion only.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote