View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #683
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Ok, found one good reason: support for the blind http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/BlindFAQ (says it is for more than just the Archos player).

That alone might make it worthwhile for some people (the menus are quite small, normally, so those who have trouble seeing them, cataracts, etc, might be interested in having the menus read to them, also).

It looks like the newer versions let you switch back and forth

so, assuming your DRM capability hasn't been "permanently lost", that would be useful for running DRM'd files.

Another reason seems to be to change the language displayed (lots of Japanese themes, from what I see, at least one in German) and the fonts/sizes.
Interesting, but these reasons are important to rather specialized audiences, not run-of-the-mill users.

If I had trouble seeing the menus, I'd go for a device with a larger screen.

But I do have an extra Clip+ now, so maybe one day I'll decide to try Rockbox and take my chances on losing DRM capability or even bricking it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote