View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Shopaholic is correct that the newer T1/T2 models do not work like the 950. Who knows why Sony chose to go backwards in regards to their sync capability and has been slow to restore it to their newer models. Very frustrating! However....

Sony just updated their iOS app to version 1.2 on May 7th which had the following changes:
  • Added reading position sync. Now you can pick up where you left off from your compatible Reader device or other Reader apps!
  • Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.

Make sure you update to the latest version. Find more info here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/read...566383171?mt=8

Also make sure you turn on page sync on your T1/T2 in Applications > Settings > Application Preferences > Books/Periodicals.

You can load non-Sony EPUBs into the Reader iOS app. They can be either DRM-free or use Adobe DRM (e.g. books purchased from Kobo) as long as you have authorized the Reader iOS app. I used Dropbox to load the books and test it rather than iTunes.

At the moment the iOS app appears to only sync Sony books between your iOS device and the e-ink hardware and the desktop software. It also seems to only sync page location and not bookmarks or annotations.

Non-Sony books will sync between the e-ink hardware and the desktop software (just not with the iOS app!). Again, it is just page location only (so still not as good as the older 950 capabilities).

Not good enough for me yet because I really want to sync page location between e-ink and the iOS app regardless of whether it's a Sony or non-Sony book. I don't really care about the desktop software unless bookmarks and annotations were added. Also, I find the iOS app limited on my iPad since there is no two-column landscape mode which is essential for the larger screen size to me.

There is a great iPad reading app called Marvin which is good for non-DRM'ed books. The developer is working to release an iPhone version later this summer which will sync between your iPad and iPhone (although that won't help with the e-ink syncing).

In summary, no perfect solution yet for me! This week's new version was a big step forward and long time coming to at least sync Sony books, but they need to think bigger to stay competitive.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote