Thread: Literary Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think this book is probably one that is easier / more appreciated on a repeat read.
I finished my re-read last night - I do not have much novel to contribute to the discussion, bar a number of quotes that however I will spare you. The book is so beutifully written, I found it a real pleasure to read, but I do see your point - if you are apprehensive you cannot enjoy the writing.

I don't think I am spoiling it for Caleb, as it has been mentioned a number of times before, anyhow Caleb I am going to mention the ending, so look away now
I had completely forgotten the Quigley murder, completely blanked out. The fact that Lolita had eloped with him had completely gone out of my mind, and in some way the path of revenge Humbert was on did surprise me, as he (thought) he knew all along that Lolita could only be "temporary". Then something happens: maybe it is good old jealousy, need to possess - yet I found Nabokov managed to make the last few paragraphs of the book rather moving in a desperately sick sort of way.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote