View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #373
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Not true, the Samsung ATIV (both models) has a most excellent keyboard solution. When attached the keyboard renders the ATIV Smart PC into a high end netbook, and the ATIV Smart PC Pro into an UltraBook...
I should have been more specific.
There are a few attachable keyboards. Samsung ATIV you've mentioned or Asus W510/700 and some Lenovo tablets for example.
But to me, that's a different breed. Those are rigid physical connections, making the whole unit bulkier than a "real" notebook, for example my MacBook Air. One can't fold those keyboards back. If one wants to go into tablet mode, one has to separate keyboard and tablet. And you always have the problem how to transport the keyboard when traveling.
That's the reason, why I don't consider:
a.) Docking stations. Dell Latitude 10 seems to have an excellent docking station. But: At home, on the desk, I don't need it. My MacBook Air is more than up to the task. When traveling, a docking station (however compact it may be) seems too bulky.
b.) USB or bluetooth keyboards. Surface Pro and RT have USB ports. One easily can attach a standard USB keyboard. But again: Not convenient for traveling (and that's still my main use for mobile units). And I absolutely don't like bluetooth solutions. I don't want to have bluetooth on all the time. But when it's off, it takes "forever" to activate.

The solution from Asus for VivoTab Smart seems a bit more convenient: Between their standard Origami cover and the display you can transport a very compact bluetooth keyboard. Still bluetooth, but at least an efficient way of transportation.

What I absolutely want to avoid: Transporting another unit. I already often hesitate, to take the spare battery of Dell Latitude 10 with me because of that...

I guess, it all simply comes down to the main usage pattern.
If one uses the Windows 8 tablets mainly in ultrabook mode, there are plenty of hardware expansions.
If one, such as I, mainly is focusing on tablet mode, the touch and type covers from Microsoft are the only solutions I've found that don't bother me to take on a trip.
They only add a few millimeters of bulk and a cover can't hurt anyway...

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote