View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
for decades i've had a 3 - 7 book a week habit that has filled my house. used books, new books - i stay away from hardbacks whenever possible because of space issues. a few years ago, maybe 2001, i noticed the baen's bar link in the back of a book. i didn't think about it for a few weeks, but i work online and ran out of things to read one night so off i went. i was thrilled and started reading my first free ebook. when my eyestrain got too bad to continue, i printed the rest of it (which took tons of paper and ran us out of ink).

i was very excited to be able to download a new book whenever i wanted to read, but eyestrain was still a challenge. then my son told me about the sony reader - he had seen one in person, and felt it was the perfect solution to my overflowing bookshelves and sore eyes. i thought about it for months, checking it out at a few places before i finally went looking for more info online and found this place. within a few days, i realized that the cybook gen 3 was more my speed.

ah, life is good! i no longer run out of books because whenever i finish one, i can download another. sure, some books aren't available in ebook format, but many are. i've re-bought some of my favorites as ebooks, and i've had so much fun now that i have all the ozbooks and lousia may alcotts at my fingertips from gutenberg.

i still buy graphic novels full sized, and do buy some paper books, but i always go for the ebook versions when possible. our growing pile of books is no longer taking over the house, and i gave away some of my classics to make space.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote