View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've read electronic texts on PCs for many years at work but I rarely would read at home for pleasure on the PC. Purchased my first PDA in 2003 for the calender and contact functions and shortly afterward discovered eReader.com and proceeded to spend $$$ on ebooks. I thoroughly enjoyed reading on my PDA, just had to be mindful of battery levels. When I had to replace my first PDA I bought the largest screen available for reading.

By then I was also purchasing from ebooks.com, Baen and a couple of very small ebook publishers. I didn't find Fictionwise until last summer and immediately fell in love with the selection and the prices as a club member.

I can remember seeing early ebook readers in store windows back in the late 80's but IIRC you had to buy books on little cartridges and the selection was abysmal. Reading on my PDA was fine but I really wanted a much larger screen and something that wasn't an LCD because of eye strain. Last summer or early fall I was in Border's and saw the Sony 505. Loved the display but didn't care for the ergonomics. Plus I'd been burned before by Sony on software and wasn't impressed with the Sony bookstore or the proprietary format.

Along came the Kindle and my membership here at MobileRead. Even though I'd been burnt by Amazon when they stopped supporting the PDFs that they sold, I'd had very positive experiences otherwise plus I'd only purchased less than a half dozen inexpensive PDFs from them. *If* the Kindle had only supported the AZW format I never would have purchased it but I purchased it because I could load other formats. And after certain tools were published I can read any ebook on my Kindle.

I purchased other ebook readers to test them out but I always go back to the Kindle because it's not tied to my PC or WiFi to get content. Where I live I have excellent cell coverage so downloading new content is a piece of cake.

My Palm clone died and I replaced it with an iPod Touch. With the eReader software I can easily read most of my collection and I use the Touch as a backup reading device.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote