View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Looking for User-Dependent not Device DRM reader

Hi -- I have a Kindle 2 and I like it but I am considering finding a different reader because of the way Kindle does its DRM protection. As you may know the Kindle uses mobi or azw files that are DRM'd with the PID number being drawn out of a secret serial number in the Kindle itself. So should you ever buy something that is not a Kindle you lose your whole library.

On the other hand, my eReader files on my phone are also DRM'd but they unlock with my credit card number not a device's serial number.

So I am looking for a reader that has as good and as large a display as a Kindle 2 but uses a DRM protection scheme that would allow me to change reader brands in the future and still be able to unlock my books.

I actually do know about the various python scripts and I can use them. But I'd rather not just get around this Draconian DRM and still monetarily support the companies that use it. Rather, I would like to find a DRM I can live with and reward whatever companies care enough about consumers to make such available.

Any ideas?
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote