View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Harry_W
Harry_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Install another dictionary to the Kobo Touch?

I got the Kobo Touch and the Sony PRS-T1 for testing and have to decide which one to keep.
My heart goes for the Kobo Touch as it fits nicely into my hands, the text settings (spacing etc.) are great and it just feels right when I use it.
As the Sony Reader has some major issues (firmware bugs, Windows software freezes, glossy surface) and the text settings can't match the Kobo, I wouldn't even think of buying the Sony. But there are some things the Kobo can't match:

- pdf reflow
- pdf pinch zoom
- paint notes into an ebook
- Collins English - German dictionary

I could live with those pdf and limited note issues. But as I read tons of English books, the Sony is far superior when it comes to the internal dictionary. The Kobo's Merriam-Webster's dictionary often has no entry for the words I'm looking for. It seems to be a very basic dictionary which only covers a limited number of core words.
The Sony's Collins dictionary in contrast is very useful. I hardly found words that were not in the dictionary. Not to forget that the Sony shows the translation instantly when selecting a word, while you have to navigate to the dictionary by hand on the Kobo.

As I would prefer the Kobo I wonder if it is possible to replace the internal Merriam-Webster's dictionary by a better one (Collins would be my first choice) which is integrated into the software the same way then (lookup marked words). Just buying an ebook dictionary and switch the books for each word wouldn't be an alternative.

Last edited by Harry_W; 12-05-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Harry_W is offline   Reply With Quote