View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Herr Mueller.... Love your reviews and openness on all tablet/ereaders.... Have to admit the Windows RT looks good.but as you point out the weight of the Pro....does NOT make sense.... My 2010 Acer 11.6 notebook with i7 500gigs or memory...6 hours of battery life... Upgraded to win 8 weighs... 1.3kg... RT sure...but My Nexus 10 with bluetooth Keyboard...still lighter than then the Win tablet pro...
Thanks a lot for your praise:
As always, I think it's all about one's personal usage patterns:
a.) Surface Pro as an ultrabook. Or, for that matter, any (Windows) tablet as an ultrabook. Surface Pro and the likes certainly are up to the task, the specs are more than adequate. But personally, I don't really see the use. If I'm mainly in ultrabook mode: Why buy a tablet then? MacBook Air or the respective Windows units are about as mobile and compact and usually have (slightly) better battery life and keyboard.
b.) Surface Pro and the likes as a tablet. I love it and wouldn't want to miss it. But frankly, I wouldn't use it as my sole tablet. For quite a few tasks, it's simply too bulky and heavy and simply oversized in its capabilities. For surfing, I can use a € 200 Kindle Fire HD or something like that and certainly don't need a € 1000 high-end machine.
c.) Surface Pro and the likes as hybrids. Having tablet and ultrabook with you in a single unit. Again, personally I don't see the use. I could take, as an example, iPad and MacBook Air or Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and a compact Windows notebook with me. It wouldn't take much more space, would have some kind of backup (2 units instead of 1) and better battery life.

So, what's the use of such machines then and why do I love them?
To me, it's about "the right tool for the right task". I find it difficult, to do it all with a single gadget. And as an early adopter, I wouldn't even want to.
When on vacation, I often have a separate suitcase with me for my gadgets and the power supplies and cables:
- Kindle Paperweight for reading in bed or on the beach.
- Microsoft Surface Pro or Dell Latitude 10, as I don't have a Windows notebook anymore and simply need Windows for some tasks.
- MacBook Air as my notebook of choice.
- The newest gadget, in a few days this will be Google Chromebook Pixel.
- And my momentary favorite. For now, this actually is Surface Pro. I've spent most of the last few weeks with Dell Latitude 10, but came to love the HD screen on Surface Pro, the build quality and the power of the processor.

Last edited by mgmueller; 06-06-2013 at 12:47 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote