View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Robert X. Cringely writes in his latest column that he thinks Apple could use retinal scan displays like the ones from MicroVision as display devices, similar to the Sony Glasstron displays. While it sounds pretty far-out, I think he's on to something and I had the same thought a few months ago. It would be a high-end device aimed at frequent flyers (business/first class travelers).

On a drive home this past weekend, I drove by several SUVs and minivans that had passengers watching entertainment system LCD displays. You've probably seen these glowing LCD displays yourselves hanging from the headliners. Huge market potential here. This could also be another use for a video iPod. Apple could work with auto manufacturers to offer factory video iPod integration to these systems just as several auto manufacturers are offering iPod integration as a factory option. An iTMS store with Nickelodeon, Disney, Sesame Street (PBS), etc channels could offer these kids favorites along with Pixar & Disney movies for in-car entertainment.

Besides factory iPod Video integration into vehicle entertainment systems, Apple could offer Apple Mobile Cinema Displays to use as a display device for a video iPod, and that rumored Apple tablet could be a new device category for iTMS video content.

Apple could also use video iPods in vehicles to offer content like video travel guides for popular vacation destinations. Add in-car GPS navigation system integration to automatically start playing downloaded travel guides along your pre-planned route, and there are some very interesting possibilities with content partners and other partners...

Brian

Last edited by ballistic; 07-19-2005 at 03:39 PM.