View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #37
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
And you are free to do that, but based on this thread and many of the links in it I am convinced its stylistic and nothing more.

Every semicolon example, with out fail can be replaced with a . and often with a conjunction.

• I use semicolons all the time in my writing. They are a useful grammatical tool.
  • I use semicolons all the time in my writing; they are a useful grammatical tool.
  • I use semicolons all the time in my writing because they are a useful grammatical tool.
The reason to pick one over the other? IMO, Style.
All punctuation is stylistic. You can eliminate all periods if you wish; and, but and or will get you pretty far!

The end result is all that matters. When you are expressing yourself in writing, what manner of phrasing and punctuation best conveys your intent? You can certainly replace a semicolon with a period but does the result read the same? Of course not.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote