Thread: Glo Kobo Firmware 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #224
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've found quite a few books where footnotes (if that is what you are referring to) are not properly setup. The footnote forward link should point to the footnote while the footnote should have a reverse link back to the footnote forward link location. I've seen books where the forward link simply points to the start of the appendix where the footnotes are stored with no reverse link defined, books where the forward and reverse links are static links which no longer work after changes were made unless you feel up to locating and manually editing them and the ones where the footnote markers have no links though they will be underlined to make them look like a link.

If the ebook is in epub format and not DRMed, you can use Sigil to examine the links. Though I have to warn you that looking at the source for many ebooks may be hard on your stomach. Very often, the first thought that comes to mind is that your 4 year old child/grandchild/neighbour/Malemute could do a better job of creating a standards compliant ebook.

Regards,
David
Hi David

I refer to the super text note numbers that are part of the text in the body of the material.

I take your point re bottom of the page reference notes, but my non-fiction currently seem to favour the superscript style.

So I suppose we can gather that irrespective of the style of note, super text or bottom of the page, there is a link to and from problem irrespective of their highlighted or underscored appearance on the page (which normally means they are defined to work).

Yes Sigil is a way to go, though quite frankly I get around all this another way: I use my BB playbook to read these non-fictions and it is still the best overall ereader I have.

But the Playbook reader app does not highlight or annotate so I need to have my Sony reader at the same time and then I can do those things on that. The reason I don't use the Sony is because unless I'm reading outdoors, or under good overhead light, I require 1 or 2 reading lights.

I bought the Glo for 2 primary reasons: the built in light and the fact that it handled non-fiction.

Hmmmmmmphh ..... no it doesn't handle non-fiction!!

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-23-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: grammar
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote